Searching in Bookshelf for Mac and Windows
Bookshelf has flexible and powerful search options that you can’t get with a traditional textbook. You can search through:
- entire library
- particular books
Within these, you have options for your search. You can search for:
|Single word||Any paragraph that contains that word|
|Multiple words||Any paragraph that contains these words. Words may not necessarily appear as one phrase or in the order you entered them.|
|The phrase in quotation marks||Any paragraph that contains that exact phrase.|
Search in a single title
- Find and open the book you want to search.
- In the Search box at the top of the Navigation pane on the left-hand side, enter the word or phrase you want to find in this book. Your search results will include a preview of that search word or phrase as it appears in your book.
- Click the result in the Navigation pane to view that word or phrase in the context of the book.
- Tip: Be sure to click the result to jump to the search term. If you click the chapter heading, you'll jump to the start of the chapter. The Book window displays the locations of the search result you selected.
- Your search term will be selected in a different color within the book so you can find it easily.
- When you complete your searching, click on the “X” in the search bar to remove the search term.
- You can also click on the Highlights button to search through the highlights you’ve made. When you complete your searching, click on the “X” in the search bar.
Searching your entire library
- Open your bookshelf and go to the main library.
- Click on "All Titles" to search throughout the downloaded titles in your library.
Tip: If you have multiple collections, you can search through those by selecting that collection before starting your search. You'll see the name of the collection in the search bar before you start typing
- Enter your search word or phrase in the Search box. Bookshelf's center pane displays only those books with results.
- Single-click the book in the center pane to preview your search results in the Inside the Book pane. (Don’t see inside the book? Click on the three columns view. It’s right above Collections in the left-hand navigation.)
- Double-click the search results in the Inside the Book pane on the right-hand side to see your search text in the context of the book.
Tip: Thought you included a book in your search but the book is not displaying in your Bookshelf's center pane? That's because your search term didn't appear in the book. Your search result may be text, a note, or a figure (note - not all books contain figures tabs!). Pay attention to the icon and preview inside the Book pane. The Book window opens to the location of the search result you selected.
- Search results carry over into your book, click on the “x” in the Search bar located on the left-hand side of your book, in order to see the Table of Contents in the book.