Mac: Text to Speech
VitalSource Bookshelf application has the ability to use the Text to Speech feature built into the Mac OS to have your books read aloud to you.
You have a choice of how your book will be read:
- If you have not opened your book before and you start speaking, the narrator will start at the beginning of the book
- If you select a chapter or section in the left side TOC, the narrator will start reading at that chapter/section
- If you select sentences with your mouse cursor, the narrator will only read the selected text.
To start Text to Speech, please do the following:
- Go to Edit > Speech in the menu
- Select Start Speaking
*You can also use the shortcut ⌥ ⌘S
- To stop, go to Edit > Speech > Stop Speaking
*You can also use the shortcut ⌥ ⇧ ⌘S
*NOTE: Text to Speech functionality may not work for all VitalSource titles. Please contact support if you have any issues with your ebook
How to change the Voice in Mac
To change the voice of the reader in Mac, please go to System Preferences > Dictation & Speech > Text to Speech.
You can change the system voice as well as the speaking rate. You can also test the voice to make sure you like it by pressing “Play” in System Preferences
Once you’ve made your selection, close out of the Prefence window and your changes will be saved.